Cross Functional Influence

Cross-Functional Influence (XFI)


Reaching across functions and geographic boundaries to get things done requires a remarkable level of interpersonal influence. With decades of experience and research, we offer expert strategies and advice to individuals and teams on developing the influence needed to drive cross-functional decision-making and change.

Video Poster Image

Susan Finerty, author of Cross Functional Influence
The foundation and framework of working and influencing cross-functionally

Influence Across The Organization


Collaborative Team Working


When our clients are asked what percentage of their job they get done through
formal authority, the average response is 11%. So, what about the other 89%?¬†The majority of the work we do actually gets done by our ability to influence‚Äďregardless of your level, title or tenure.

Through our research, we know that sustained influence in an organization is more than expertise and a persuasive conversation. It starts with being trusted within the organization, realizing the give and take of influence, and having perspective outside of your immediate area of responsibility.

Cross-Functional Influence (XFI) requires applying practices for building your credibility and equity in the organization over time - as well as practices that help you conduct an influential dialogue or presentation in the moment. When all team members who work cross functionally are empowered with the ability to influence, the sky is truly the limit.

89% of the work we do gets done by our ability to influence, not through formal authority.

Susan Finerty, Finerty Consulting

89% of the work we do gets done by our ability to influence, not through formal authority.

(Susan Finerty, Finerty Consulting)

Our XFI expertise is available in a variety of formats.

Our expertise is available in a variety of formats.

Use our Find Your Solution tool to identify the best format(s) for you, your team, or your organization.

Find Your Solution
Our expertise is available in a variety of formats.

Use our Find Your Solution tool to identify the best format(s) for you, your team, or your organization.

Find Your Solution
Access our Books & Online Resources to start building your Matrix Management & Cross Functional Influence expertise now

Schedule a Consultation with the Finerty Team

Contact Us